Taliban spokesman Qari Yusouf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for the attack and said the group's fighters also seized weapons and ammunition.
The U.S. and NATO Resolute Support mission issued a statement "to clarify initial reporting" about Monday's roadside bombing of an American convoy near the main U.S. base.
The statement also says three American soldiers were wounded in the explosion and are receiving medical care. The names of those killed were being withheld for 24 hours until the notification of next of kin has been completed, as per Defense Department policy.
There are now around 14,000 US troops deployed to Afghanistan.
The vehicle bomb targeted a convoy of coalition soldiers, he told AFP.
Pakistan radio transmissions showed F-16 didn’t return to its base: IAF
Reacting to the Foreign Policy report, Prime Minister Khan took to Twitter to criticise the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP ). US-based news publication Foreign Policy had quoted senior but unidentified USA defence sources saying that no F-16 was missing.
Monday marked the first loss of life for U.S. forces in Afghanistan since two U.S. Army soldiers were killed late last month.
The war has taken a much larger toll on Afghan security forces and civilians. "They volunteered to protect their country", Gen. Scott Miller, who heads USA and foreign forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement.
They typically declare a new fighting season as winter snows melt, and have in the past sought to gain control of district centres and to target government facilities. He said Afghans want peace, but "they don't want to live the way that the Taliban want them to live".
Over the weekend U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconstruction Zalmay Khalilzad met with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and other officials as part of those efforts. The Taliban have refused to meet with the Afghan government, which they view as a USA puppet.